Saturday, 28 April 2012

I have such a crazy week ahead but am really excited because










































Lucinda Dunn and Robert Curran in Onegin. Photo: Georges Antoni
I'M GOING TO THE BALLET.

I find myself grinning like a madman every time I think about it.

On Tuesday night, the Australian Ballet begin their season of 'Onegin': a 20th century, full-length story ballet set to a lavish Tchaikovsky score. Stage, set and costume wise, it has all the dressings. Swoooooon. Set in empiric Russia, the story centres on two lovers: Onegin, a St. Petersburg aristocrat who upon visiting the province causes a young girl, Tatiana, to fall madly in love with him. She writes him an impassioned love letter and in return he crushes her heart like it's an ant and toys with her soon-to-be-wed sister. Of course this draws the wrath of said sister's fiancee and...fight fight fight! Or in the parlance of that time, duel duel duel? Years later the troubled Onegin come back to find that Tatiana is now a stately princess, and beautiful and rich and of course now that he can't have her he desperately wants her. It'll be showing at the Opera House and I'll be in the audience on opening night! I anticipate squeals.

In fact, I was being such a ballet bun-head last night that I ended up spending a full hour watching ballet performances on Youtube and stalking Darcey Bussell. Did you guys know that heaps of companies like the New York City Ballet and even the Royal Ballet put up full shows on Youtube? It's an untapped goldmine!!! Don Quixote, Swan Lake, Gisele.. I sat there spellbound watching the final wrenching pas de deux from Onegin, toes curling in the knowledge that I'll be watching that play out on the real life stage before me in a few days!

I expect that evening will also be a terrific relief from all the other work events I've got on next week, journalism and uni law work are colliding at the most inopportune moments. It's stressful, but I think I like being busy. I always think of that thing people say: if you want something done, give it to a busy person to do. I ASPIRE to being that busy, but EFFICIENT person in that statement.


No comments:

Post a Comment