


These knocked me out of the water. How jaw-droppingly awesome. And there's more astounding colourisation here.
I had to go through this exact process (less successfully) of putting colour to a greyscale photo back in the day for my HSC Visual Arts major work. The image was of this middle-aged man lying on a stripy sofa reading the newspaper, and I couldn't find the colour version of it ANYWHERE! This image was a focal point, the centrepiece of my work! I was so desperate, and with the clock running out, i managed to track down the original photographer on flickr, and sent him an email begging for a colour copy.
He replied the next day, and very kindly broke the news to me: He'd taken the photo at his parent's house last summer, 800km away from where he now lived, and he had shot the original in black and white only.
At this stage, i was tearing my hair out and going nuckin futs! But i had no other choice. So I picked a colour scheme, prayed for my colour judgement to be keen, took a deep breath, and went at it. Gave it my best shot! And in the end it turned out fine, although a tad lurid. A maroon base isn't the easiest thing to work from- it's not exactly a common hue for a couch.
No comments:
Post a Comment