I saw Melancholia last week and was struck by a distinctive image in it of a spotless manicured lawn, right at the start of the film's opening sequence which features Wagner's Tristan und Isolde as overture. I knew instantly what it reminded me of: the French sixties classic film, Last Year at Marienbad, which has been described as a "surreal fever dream." It's pretty unnerving- filled with endless corridors,
shady rendezvouses, strangers from a past unrecalled, and disorientating shifts in time and space. I discovered this film from seeing the music video of one of my favourite Blur songs, To the End. It pays tribute to the film in a perfectly-styled pastiche, and the video complements the music so that it gives an added depth of meaning and sense of forbearance to the song's story. I really like both the song and the video.
![]() |
| The distinctive scene from Last Year at Marienbad- the couples all have long shadows but the trees don't? |

No comments:
Post a Comment